We all know the struggle of dry flaky skin during the cold months of winter. This happens because air in winter is usually cold and dry, so the moisture in your skin evaporates more quickly. This results in dry skin that feels tight and flaky.
At the same time, we are also facing a worldwide pandemic which requires us to wear masks and wash our hands and face more often. This routine usually strips the skin off its moisture and natural properties which leaves the skin very dry.
Fortunately, there are ways to avoid this from happening, so here are 6 ways to take care of your skin during the pandemic:
1. Use Gentle Hand soap: it’s important that you wash your hands regularly to clean germs, and bacteria. To take care of your hands, use a gentle hand soap instead of antibacterial hand soaps or scented soaps. Regular soap is still as effective as antibacterial soaps when it comes to washing off germs and bacteria.
Mrs. Meyers hand soap is one of the best gentle hand soaps in the market, formulated with olive oil, aloe vera and various essential oils.
2. Use hand cream or lotion: after washing your hands, it’s always good to follow up with a moisturizer. This seals the natural oil and nutrients of your skin, leaving your skin supple and moisturized. Moisturizing also helps reduce extreme dryness or oiliness on your skin.
3. Simple Skin Care Routine: having a simple skin care routine keeps your skin, clean and healthy. A simple skin care routine consists of a cleanser, toner, exfoliator (once or twice a week) and moisturizer. Do not use too many products, as they are unnecessary.
4. Wear new mask or wear clean reusable mask: if you use a disposable mask, make sure to dispose it and use a new one. If you are using reusable mask, make sure to wash them often. This makes sure that any bacteria build up on the mask don’t settle on your skin.
5. Clean your face before wearing a mask and after wearing it for a long period of time: It’s essential to wash your face first before you put on your mask and after wearing a mask for a long time. This is to prevent any future breakout.
6. Use Cotton Masks: Disposable masks are often rough on your skin which can cause irritation. The best alternative is a 100% cotton mask. Natural fibers such as cotton are gentle on your skin and as effective as disposable masks. It is also the most environmentally friendly mask that is available out there.
The bottom line is that, because of the pandemic wearing a mask and washing your hands frequently will be the norm. So we need to adjust our daily skin care routine according to health guidelines that are imposed.
By: Jade Florendo