The holidays are coming! Which also means that holiday shoppers are scrambling their feet to get the best deals and gifts for their loved ones.
This season, it’s important to buy and support from our local businesses. 2020 has been a hard year for everyone, especially for local businesses that are struggling to keep their operations. So instead of buying online brands that are based abroad, go search for valuable goods that you can find locally. Luckily, there are many local shops in Toronto that may just have the perfect gift that you’re looking for!
Here are some of the small shops from Toronto you can buy gifts from:
1. ChocoSol (@chocosoltraders): What better way to gift a foodie than with chocolates. ChocoSol located in Toronto, sources their cacao directly from Mexican indigenous farmers. They offer a variety of high-quality artisan chocolates that is sure to delight your sense of taste.
2. IQ Living (@iq_living): a homeware store located in Danforth. This store offers online shopping, delivery and pickup. IQ living partners with environmentally conscious and ethical brands such as PlanetBox and Grosche. They offer a variety of products from colourful cookware, and bakeware. They now also carry beautifully designed mugs from Now Designs Etch & Gala, perfect for carrying hot beverages.
3. The Wanderly (@wanderly): located in Dundas West. This store carries a variety of well-crafted goods, made and designed by both local and global artists/businesses. Their products include apparel, home goods, jewelleries, and accessories. These products are a perfect gift for people who appreciate uniquely crafted design items.
4. Anice Jewellery (@anicejewellery): located in Ossington. This boutique upcycles old jewellery and turns them into new and fashionable treasures. They also offer custom services to make your jewellery more personalized. There is no doubt that these jewellery pieces are unique and truly one of a kind – a perfect gift for special love ones.
On the right is a beautiful custom piece ring.
5. Barbell Behaviour: founded in 2019 by a Toronto based entrepreneur, Lianne Ireland. Barbel Behavior aims to create functional, high quality athletic wear for all body types and backgrounds. This brand offers colourful, and fashionable activewear for women.
Here are there two best selling products.
6. Maple Lane Jewellery: another unique jewellery store based in Toronto. This small online store offers classic and minimalistic jewellery designs pieces. They also offer customization for initials engraving. You can shop these items online at Etsy.com.
7. Love Your Mother Boutique: located in Toronto. This boutique offers eco-friendly products and handmade pottery. Love Your Mother Boutiques guarantees customers that all products are made and locally sourced in Canada. Their most well-known line of products are their aesthetically pleasing pottery collections.
The ceramic pot and plate shown below are both handmade by the owner’s grandmother!
8. Likely General: this store located in Toronto began their operation in 2013. This store primarily sells goods made by artists of marginalized background. With collaboration from different artists, Likely General carries a variety of goods from; clothing, jewellery, accessories, home decors, and ceramic goods that suits anyone on your gift list.
It’s important to note that there are still many local Toronto businesses out there that offer a number of products that are locally and ethically sourced. So, start browsing for gifts offered by local businesses around your area, because by doing so we also offer support to our community.
By: Jade Florendo